Finding Inspiration in Every Turn
File # Sct. 99
Rev. Hamilton Biggar
January 06, 1806 - February 20, 1883
Brantford, Ontario, Canada
EARLY MEMBERS OF THE STEWARTRY FAMILY
Rev. Hamilton Biggar, superannuated Minister of the Canadian Methodist Church, Brantford, was born in Queenston, Canada, on Jan. 6th, 1806, and is the son of Robert Biggar, a native of Scotland, who came to this country between 1804 and 1806.
He was a farmer by occupation, and located in Lincoln County, of the Niagara District, where he resided until about 1810, and then removed to Stony Creek, where he lived during the War of 1812. He was too old to actively participate in that trouble, but three sons took part. In the winter of 1816, he removed to Mt. Pleasant, this county, where he was located on 100 acres of land.
He was a prominent citizen in the early days of Brant County and resided there until his death. he married Amelia Lauder in Scotland, who was the mother of 11 children, three of whom yet survive. She died in 1826, and Mr. Biggar in 1836 or 1837.
Our subject was the ninth child of this large family and was ten years of age when he came to this county. From here he went to the bay of Quinte and resided with a brother for nine years, until of age, when he attended a district school at Cobourg, and soon after entered the ministry of the Episcopal Church, the church having that name until 1833 when it was changed to the Wesleyan Methodist.
Mr. Biggar was a missionary, and established the Indian Mission for the Chippewa tribe at Rice Lake, near Cobourg, in 1827. He was there two years, and then went to Hollowell, now Picton, Circuit, Bay of Quinte, and was there one year; at Whitby, one year; London, one year; Westminister, one year; Long Point, two years; Cobourg, one year; Yonge Street, two years; Nelson Circuit, two years; Drummondville, two years; Mohawk Mission, four years; Cobourg, Treasurer of the College, two years; Grimsby, two years; Dumfries, two years; which later closed the year 1852.
Mr. Biggar then retired from the ministry and settled in Brantford. In January 1853, upon the organization of the county, he was appointed Treasurer, held that office fourteen years, and resigned in 1867 on account of bodily infirmities. Since then he has retired from active life, not having preached for two years.
He was married in 1832, to Eliza Racy, a native of Mt. Pleasant, and they were the parents of 9 children, 8 of whom are living; only three in Brant County; Charles, In Brantford; Fannie, at home; and Mrs. Simpson.
Biggar, Hamilton, Rev. buried at Mt Pleasant Pioneer Cemetery, Brantford, Brant Co.
Charges: 1827 Indian Mission for the Chippewa tribe at Rice Lake, 1829 Hallowell (Prince Edward Co.), 1830 Whitby, 1831 Vienna, London, 1832 Westminster, 1833 Long Point, 1835 Cobourg, 1836 Yonge Street, 1838 Nelson, 1840 Drummondville, 1842 Mowhawk Mission, 1846 he was treasurer of Cobourg College for 2 years, 1848 Grimsby, 1850 Dumfries, 1850-1851 Blenheim (Oxford Co.) and settled in Brantford when he retired in about 1852, 1854 - 1871 Brantford
Warner and Beers History of Brant County 1883